Thursday, September 17, 2009

Top Of This Week's Celebrity HitList



THE HOFF - David Hasseloff

Back in the 1980's when Night Rider was still a hit, David Hasseloff was cool - to my 9 - 10 year old mind.  Young and good looking, he drove an awesome car and could carry it off.  BACK THEN.
Few people may know that Hasseloff started his career staring in a soapie - The Young And The Restless from 1975 - 1982. 
David Hasseloff describes acting in Knight Rider as "a little more difficult than if you had a regularly well-written script" - because -  " I had to talk to a car."  Fuck me Charlie.  Talking to a car is challenging??? 


David goes on to say that Night Rider was much 'bigger' than Baywatch ever was.  Because it was about "saving lives not taking lives".    So...uh...did they let people drown on Baywatch?   Which brings me to an interesting quote I found from him while browsing the Internet:
"I wanted to play around with the format, really tear it to pieces and shake it up. For example, if Mitch saves someone from drowning, and that person then goes out and releases a virus that kills a million people. Imagine the moral implications of that."

Well, I guess that answers THAT question!  Let's first think deeply on the 'moral implications' of saving the individual....
Hasseloff was too busy keeping his toes dry anyway to really get into the water...shots of him running in slow motion down the beach with the wind touseling his curls was much more important than getting wet and saving lives.  Way to non-glamerous for our Hoff. 
So he did do well, reviving it's first season flop and running another 8 seasons that were hugely sucessful.  So I gotta give him credit there.  The fact that he ensured himself a good role with Alexander Paul as co-star, and himself as Leuitenant and later promoted to Captain is obviously the job perks.  Mr King of the Castle.

Suck in that belly, smooth on that baby oil!











Speaking of Kings, David Hasseloff proclaimed himself 'King of the Internet' in a tongue-in-cheek advertisement commercial for Pipex on 2 August 2006.   How's that for blowing your own horn? 
I found some interesting pictures of a drunken David Hasseloff eating a burger while being video taped by his daughter.  This later resulted in him temporarily losing custody of his daughters.   I decided not to display these.  Everyone's entitled to consume a bit much a some stage of their life, but when you're a high profile celebrity, it becomes world news....

Regardless of love or hate, David Hasseloff has been a busy man in the public eye from 1975 to this day.

I admit to a grudging respect of this man as I read of his contributions to charity, and his energy and enthusiasm for his work, the passion with which he followed his dreams. 

Still the memory of him running in slow motion down the beach, floating device in hand, still causes an unpleasant sensation in my stomach.  To my mind, Kelly Slater, staring as Jimmy Slade, was soooo much more 'munch-alicious' back then!!!!













So to my 'top of the Celebrity Hitlist' celeb of the week, I have only one thing left to say, and this extends to anyone who doesn't like my opinion:-

No comments:

Post a Comment