Wednesday, September 23, 2009

My Son

Well, the real reason for starting this blog was to talk about my children, being a full time working mom, the impact it has on the life of my family and to research and publish my findings on the subject to hopefully make life easier for others out there that might be in a similar position as I am. 


Anyway, so it's now time to start introducing my little family.  First up is my son, Jacques.  Age 5. 
Birthday 31/08/2004.   Hobbies:  PLAYSTATION.   Favourite Cartoon:  Ben10.  Favourite Food:  Nothing.  Chicken and Fries if he must choose.   Sweets:  Anytime.  Normality on a Scale of 1 - 10, 10 being normal:   8.  


I have to say my son is gorgeous.  He has eyes and eyelashes any girl would dream of having.   He is a good kid, a bad eater, a nagger, but extremely intelligent and at present the funniest person I know.


So a few mornings back while rushing to get things done, I was having a good old bitch about the deplorable state of my wardrobe and my lack of pants.   When I failed to get a response from my husband, Jacques decided to settle matter.  "Mommy, why don't you buy some jeans?"  he asks me.   Grumpily I replied that I do not have money for jeans right now.   To which he responded, "Well then why dont' you ask Ouma for monies?"   This brought a smile to my lips, but I told him that Ouma also doesn't have alot of money and can't just buy, buy, buy all the time.  Thinking the subject was closed, I carried on packing in the lunch.  I shouldn't have underestimated Jacques, he is his mother's child.  He got the last word.  With a tone that said it was the end of the conversation he said, "Well then you will just have to wait for Father Christmas then!"  and he left the room.
LOL!!  If only!


It seems 5 is a clever age to be.   The change is almost over night, and they start saying things and reasoning things for themselves that you didn't realise they could do before. 
Last night I decided to spend some time just chatting to Jacques.  I lay next to him in his bed and he asked me to tell a story.   As usual, my usually imaginitive mind deserted me, and so I decided to tell him some stories about his mother's antics when she was 'small' like him.    He listened with a smile and often chipped into ask questions, the main one being "Why?", which is the most common question kids seem to ask, from around 2.5 years until probably somewhere around 95. 
Then he asked if his Daddy was also around, so I explained that Jaco and I didn't know eachother when I was little and only met when we were big.   He wanted to know where and why and so I explained that I met his Daddy at Stockcars and I saw him and I liked him and we became boyfriend and girlfriend.  The more I said, the further he sank under the blankets, a huge smile on his face.  And then I said "And then I KISSED him!" and he shrieked, laughed, covered his head with the blanket and then exclaimed, "Oh GROSS!", to which I burst out laughing.  It was such a spontaneous and unreserved response, and the huge grin on his face showed his enjoyment of the story.  The fact that at five he thinks boys and girls kissing is GROSS, caught me momentarily off guard - but then again, the kids grow up so fast these days!
It really was a brilliant moment for me and even now, as I sit at work getting this post in quickly (yes, mom@work!), I smile at the memory!















No comments:

Post a Comment